Sunday, July 8, 2012

Updates: Kirby and Abstraction at Comic-Con, new strip at Carousel, etc.

Ok, so I know I've been MIA off this blog for the last six weeks or so.  Sorry!  (I'm sure you don't want to hear my excuses, but rest assured that I have them if needed.)  But I have some news:



The San Diego Comic-Con is almost upon us.  If you are attending, please come to my session on "Jack Kirby, Modernism and Abstraction," Friday 2:30-3:30 pm.  AC anthology contributor Mark Badger and I will discuss--well, we'll discuss what it says in the title of the session, plus we'll show a number of published and unpublished abstract comics, by the two of us and by others, influenced by the King.


(Shown above:  two Kandinsky/Kirby comparisons.  Think of them as addenda to my earlier "Kirby slash" post.)

Also, I have a new four-panel strip at Carousel. (Online and in the new print issue.) I'm still trying to get this four-panel form down. This time: words & photos. The underlying story is that I took all the photographs on my flight, last year, to and from SDCC, where I gave a talk on abstract comics.  There's actually even more to the story than that, but I'll only have time to tell it after I come back from San Diego.



Thirdly--I have a batch of new drawings over at Blotcomics.  You might enjoy them.  Some are sort of Kirbyish.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for asking, Karen! I just checked--26AB. I'm *always* in 26 AB. I guess that's the CAC room?

    ReplyDelete

Please note that anonymous comments will be rejected.