Thursday, December 17, 2009

Abstract Comic in Mainstream Marvel Monthly!

Recently while going through recently purchased comics I got around to reading Marvel's Strange Tales #3. For those that are unaware this was a limited series where non-superhero and small press comic artists can do fun quirky short stories involving Marvel characters.

Well, in the final issue there is what I would consider an abstract comic featuring the Red Skull!. It is titled Sue Nami Cupcake and is by Liquid Fury artist Chris Chua.

I found this work to be very interesting and relevant to what we talk about on this sight.

I would have loved to share the actual work with you but I didn't want to violate anyone's copyright.

I recommend you all try to see this strip, I would love to discuss it within' the context of abstract comics.

As far as I know this is the most mainstream place this kind of work has been published.

4 comments:

  1. Actually, posting a brief excerpt to illustrate your discussion is fair use, but if you're concerned, why don't you contact Chris Chua and ask him if it's ok with him? I'm sure he's online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog embodies a great potential for creativity, for art. It's very exciting and I'd hate to see aspersions cast upon this very valiant effort due to associations of sub-literacy. Ergo, while it may be argued that in some ways the word you use is quite accurate, in the context of your statement, this is a "site," not a "sight." ;-)

    Oh yeah, cool what you found. I'll try to see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, cool! you guys are talking about me! :)

    I was googleing for some reviews and found this post. very cool! aaron, glad you found my work interesting, seems a lot of the reviews that I've seen on the web have strong feelings of confusion and lots of hate for my pages, heh.

    I think a lot of people didn't understand the story, I'll prolly be making a post on my blog that explains everything. most likely in the next 2 weeks or so.

    also, this post date (dec 17) is the same day as my birthday. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris, welcome. So, would you be ok with our posting here some (or all, say in a reduced format) of that piece? Let me know, and I'd be happy to make a new post of it; if you'd like to cross-post your explanation here as a guest post, that would be great too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that anonymous comments will be rejected.