Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dancey!

Now is the time on Abstract Comics when we dance...



This was made for an anthology of minimalist comics called OM which was being compiled by David Lasky and Davey Oil back in 2003.


Apparently they dropped it because they couldn't find enough cartoonists who would do something truly minimalist, but who knows, maybe it wouldn't be so difficult now that there are so many of you on this blog and elsewhere who could possibly do something great for such a project. I hope it still happens someday...


Since some animation has been posted here, I hope it's alright for me to show you an animated version of Dancey I made (it's just all the panels played at the same frame-rate in sequence). I wasn't sure how it would move because I made the piece as a comic but it might be of interest as to the difference between comic and animation:



9 comments:

  1. Robukka--can you please explain your comment? I can (sort of) see ways in which that is not insulting, but on first glance it does seem insulting, and I was tempted to reject it. Knowing your previous contributions here, though, I thought I should let it go, in the hope that it was not meant the way it sounds. But please explain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of those "my kid could paint that" kind of things.
    (really no offense now I set it as my desktop background)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, yeah, that's kind of the point of minimalism--inasmuch as simple lines can be drawn by everybody. I'm not sure why you felt compelled to come and say that. I happen to find "Dancey" really funny, and actually the simple style only adds to the humor. But you really have to read it in sequence to get it. It's like "the choreography of a line." I doubt your (real or imaginary) kid could come up with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, here is a response I made a long long time ago, when Mike first showed me "Dancey":
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/andreim2/danceyrobot.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. really cool robot Andrei! The color gives it an extra vivid read-dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is beautiful! and has such a beautiful clarity - thanks for posting (and resurrecting) it. Both David and Davey do such sharp work; I'm glad we got to see this - now I'm hoping for a world with OM in it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dancey is awesome!

    I haven't given up on the dream of a minimalist comics anthology. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. a bit similar to lewitt's open cubes

    ReplyDelete

Please note that anonymous comments will be rejected.