Friday, April 3, 2009

recycling



My girlfriend is a photographer. A while ago she was throwing out a bunch of old gallery prints of her photos; ones she didn't like any more or that had gotten small scratches on them. I stopped her and grabbed a bunch for my own nefarious purposes.

I've been attacking them with sharpies and distorting them into new, abstract pieces.

This was my first single panel experiment along these lines. I have a larger, more ambitious, multi-panel one that I'll post later (it's too big to scan easily).

5 comments:

  1. This is quite exciting. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine this style working great in sequence. I'm looking forward to seeing the multi-panel piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. goodstuff fersure, i esp dig the procedural aspect you've utilized to create the work, how they are actually photographs, the pinnacle of representationalism & transform them into abstraction.

    also, the reclamation from machine, from tool, from camera -- with the intervention of human hands

    (developing developed)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a pack rat/collector/artist/weirdo, I shudder to think how many beautiful possibilities have been thrown into the trash, especially "bad" photographs. It's really, really wonderful to see other people saving these open-ended ideas from oblivion and doing something so outstanding with them. Thanks for the inspiration. This entire blog is another amazing source of joy for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that anonymous comments will be rejected.