Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Totem Time in Dreamland (Remix)

Alexey's post on randomization inspired me, and so I did this remix of one of my favorite Bruce Conner drawings:



I made it by first cutting up the original (taken from here, blown up and cleaned up) into twenty pieces, then recombining those pieces according to a preset formula, so I had no free choice as to which panel ended up next to which. I like the way apparent continuities between panels ended up forming anyway, even though I designed the formula specifically to make sure that no contiguous pieces from the original ended up contiguous in the remix.

3 comments:

  1. damn Andrei, you gotta talent for great titles!

    this comic is jawdroppingly eyesum!

    it creates a weird optical effect for me, competing symmetries bumping together in a near vibratory ecstasy, it's also very interesting how it is a doubled narrative, in that it can be read a black dominant or white dominant, or even additional combinations of alternating space interpretations, the ending is perfect, and of course another alternate reading would be thru a Rorschach psychological lens, but ultimately, for me, i like to be lazy & enjoy the immediacy of some strange unexplainable feeling i get when going panel by panel and soak in the richness of such optic gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but that title is not mine, it's Bruce Conner's. I just remixed his piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. d'oh!

    my bad, i thot you thunk it up,
    you are very good at titling.

    i'm remixing the title as:

    "totemic timezones hidden beneath
    a pillow while the dreamer
    releases a slot formerly
    reserved for language
    "

    ReplyDelete

Please note that anonymous comments will be rejected.